Preparing for college starts early. Find out how to get into the college of your dreams and earn the scholarships to pay for it.
Do you know what makes an impressive college or scholarship application?
In this course, we will provide you with hands-on brainstorming activities that students can use to identify their interests, passions and unique qualities so that they can effectively focus their time during high school (while also having fun).
Families will also learn how to create a system for staying organized and on top of college-prep deadlines. Parents and students will be able to work together during high school to create a plan for how to prepare for the application process and never miss an important opportunity.
By the end of the course, you will have the inside scoop on how to stand out against other applicants and be well on your way to creating impressive applications!
Who is this course for?
Maybe this will be your first time sending a child to college and you want to make sure you do things right… Or, maybe you’ve been through the application process before with another child and you want it to be easier this time around…
This course is for you, if you are…
- overwhelmed by all the information out there about preparing for college
- ready to help your 10th grader achieve their college and career dreams
- worried that college will be a financial burden on your family
- excited to be guided through the college planning process, step-by-step
What topics will we cover?
- a simple step-by-step process to get on track and stay on track
- what makes a successful college or scholarship applicant
- how to stay on top of deadlines with your perfect organizational system
- what to do each year of high school to ensure your child is prepared for college
- how you can make the essay portion of the application easier
- the importance of demonstrating leadership
- the difference between leadership and being outgoing
- how to identify the right activities for your student during high school
- why it’s important for your child to take initiative and create their own opportunities
- how you can help your child discover their passions - and WHY this is so important
- the importance of giving back to the community
- how your student can understand and leverage their skills and abilities
Check out the curriculum below to see everything that we will cover in the course!
- Welcome and Introduction (8:03)
- Copyright Information
- Understanding the Obstacles (2:37)
- Getting Organized
- Making a Commitment to Planning
- Importance of a System
- Common Application Sections (1:00)
- Standardized Testing
- Extracurricular Activities
- Community Involvement
- Leadership Experience
- Honors and Awards
- Work Experience
- Essays and Personal Statements
- Letters of Recommendation
- Blank Sections
- Dedication, Depth, and Distinction (3:24)
- Activity 1: What are my interests?
- Activity 2: What am I dedicated to?
- Activity 3: How can I show depth and distinction?
- College Applications (1:31)
- Scholarship Applications
- BONUS: Successful Applicants (0:52)
- Planning Guide for 10th Grade (2:23)
- Setting Goals and Tracking Progress
- For Your Information (1:02)
- Moving Forward
- Course Downloads
After purchasing, you will receive a welcome packet and information about how to access the course.